Steve Bryant Bass Lessons | Intro

Steve Bryant

Steve Bryant is a Nashville session bass player. He has played several musical styles over his long career including R&B, big band, jazz, country, rock and Top 40. He first worked professionally as a musician in Lexington, Kentucky in the early 1970s. He made the move to Nashville in 1975. He was a member of the legendary bluegrass band Boone Creek. Members of that band also included Ricky Skaggs and Jerry Douglas. In 1978, he joined J.D. Crowe’s band which included members Keith Whitley, who later became a solo artist on RCA, and Gene Johnson, who became a member of Diamond Rio. Steve was a member of Jerry Reed’s band for five years at the height of his popularity. He has toured with many other artists including Linda Davis, Dobie Grey and Buffy St. Marie. He has worked exclusively as a Nashville session musician since 1992. He has played on master recordings and demos for numerous artists, bands and songwriters.

12 comments

1. Curt LAin says:

Can’t wait for the next segment…Sounds like it will be the kind of instruction I have been looking for ! Thanks!

2. Billy says:

I’m wicked excited for the next parts of this video! Are there any back issues of Bass Frontiers with lessons with Steve?

3. Steve says:

WoW! My friend Billy turned me on to this! I can’t wait till the next video!!! Bring it on! And thanks Steve for your GREAT insight and video!

4. ryan says:

I’m an LA musician, grew up in nashville. I had the privilege of taking private private lessons from Steve starting when I was 16. (1994) To this day he’s one of the best I’ve ever heard, and his instruction is priceless.

5. Steve Bryant says:

Guys, Thanks for the kind comments. I’ve enjoyed doing these videos and my intentions are to give the readers of Bass Frontiers a window on the skills needed for the working musician and I’ve tutored many over the years with that in mind. Some of my former students are working pros, doing sessions and/or are touring musicians.
    Ryan, It is wonderful to hear from you and that you are doing well on the West Coast! I correspond from time to time with the great Carol Kaye and we chat about the music scene there as well as Nashville..
    Best to everyone!
    Keep those cards and letters coming, folks!:-)
    Steve

6. Mark says:

This series is just what I’ve been looking for – practical, down to earth instruction! I can’t wait to get started.

Thank you for taking the time to do them.

• Steve Bryant says:

Mark, I’m so glad you found these videos helpful in furthering your playing and development…yes, take your time and learn the fundamentals — music!
      and see my posts below for more information!

7. Chuck Holbrook says:

I’m from the Ironton/Forestdale area and had the privilage
    of hearing Steve play in town on the street. I also knew his
    brother Don quite well as he dated my best friends sister. Been
    playing since I was 16 and Steve was a big influence, esp when he
    was with Jerry Reed, that was a Great band. Great to see these
    instructional videos, really great stuff.

8. Steve says:

Great information Steve. I’ve been a guitar player all my life and looking for good solid fundimentals for the base. I think I’ve stumbled on to a gold mine.
    Thanks

• Steve Bryant says:

Appreciate it, Steve…When Dave Fowler and I were having lunch last year and kicking around the concept for these lessons, I knew I wanted to concentrate on understanding music and how to practice it….not hard, but many do make it difficult on themselves by thinking ”technique” is playing…..You will notice a lot of what I teach is ear training in that you understand what you are hearing in a chordal concept of playing… I get into this in much greater detail in my private Tutoring– I’ve taught pro and semi-pro students for almost 25 years now– some are touring and recording musicians in their own right…..As I mentioned above I’ll be doing lessons via Skype soon and am excited about helping bassists who have limitations in getting lessons because of where they live and want to get information and training in what it takes to be competitive in the pro world of music, sessions, etc. or just to be a better musician playing locally in clubs, church, jamming and to satisfy their own personal goals……
      it is wonderful to get these comments and questions– keep those cards and letters coming, folks!
      see my e-mail address above in the previous post…

9. Steve Bryant says:

Please check out my site bassmentoring.com for more info and lessons in person or via Skype